This article answers the question, “Can you get scammed on Upwork?” So, to start with, are you a freelancer looking for an online platform where you can earn money working part-time or full-time? If yes then Upwork can be the right place to be.
Upwork is an online platform that allows freelancers like you to sign up and create a profile that reflects your skills so that you can find clients to hire you for online jobs or so that you can find a person who can work for you.
Here is the good thing about Upwork, it has hundreds of jobs. The main services offered on Upwork are; web design, sales, and marketing, mobile and software development, article writing among others.
Can you get scammed on Upwork?
Unfortunately, some bad clients and sellers try to take advantage of Upwork users everywhere, especially in the fields where there is a large number of people hence the answer is yes you can get scammed on Upwork if you are not careful.
We all are afraid of scams that’s why we have to be cautious. Upwork is a big platform that offers jobs to a large number of people and is known by a huge number of people around the world.
Types of scams on Upwork
Here are some of the ways you can get scammed on Upwork or other platforms like Fiverr; If your client asks you to start working on a certain project (work) and the contract is not yet placed, phishing is another type of scam where an individual sends you emails pretending to be a legitimate sender trying to gather personal information.
Another type of scam on Upwork is digital currency fraud, which is where a client asks you to purchase tokens or other virtual currency on your mobile.
In most cases this request comes as a scam, a client is not supposed to ask you for money or other favors. If a client has too many open jobs and no money spent to pay for the jobs then that is definitely a scammer.
Benefits of using Upwork
Upwork is a safe and secure platform that enables freelancers to find work, build a profile, and get paid for their services. It’s one of the most trusted platforms for businesses that require quality talent in a timely manner. Upwork offers many benefits to both employers and freelancers alike.
For employers, Upwork provides access to verified professionals with experience in various industries such as web development, graphic design, writing and more.
Employers can use Upwork’s advanced search feature to quickly identify qualified candidates based on their skillset or rating by other customers. Additionally, employers can post jobs for free and only pay after receiving satisfactory results.
For freelancers, Upwork offers an opportunity to earn good money from the comfort of their home while obtaining exposure from potential clients all over the world.
Also Read // Can you get scammed on Linkedin? (6+ Unsuspicious Scams To Watch Out For!!)
Cons of working on Upwork
Although Upwork is the leading freelancing platform in the world it has some disadvantages. Some of those disadvantages are;
- Sometimes it can be difficult to find work that fits your schedule if, for example, you work as a part-timer.
- Upwork also takes a 20% fee for all earnings in the first $500 that a freelancer makes with a client, after that it drops to 10% for total billings between $500.01 and $10,000 and 5% for total billings over $10,000. This can eat up your earnings or can discourage you especially if you are a beginner at Upwork.
- Upwork has a large number of users which is why it is difficult to stand out and get noticed. It might take some time to be noticed by clients and to get a gig.
Tips to avoid scams on Upwork
We have seen that there can be scams on Upwork, and now we have to ask ourselves how we can avoid them.
Here are some tips on ways to avoid being scammed.
- First, always avoid sharing your details with anyone.
- Always double-check who you are communicating with to avoid being scammed.
- If by any chance someone asks for your username and password then that is a scam.
- If you find a client who has many jobs but too low payments then that is a scam.
- Beware of the clients who asks for up fronts from you so that they can offer you jobs, the probability of them being scammers is very high.
- Always remember to log out of your account after you are done using it. Logging out helps a lot as unknown individuals can be able to access your account.
What do you do if you think you are being scammed on Upwork?
Well if you feel like you are being scammed then you can always report or contact customer support directly.
From the analysis above, we can therefore conclude that Upwork is a good and reliable freelancing platform that can help you earn a living working part-time or full-time.
It offers individuals opportunities to work at any place at any given time. As much as Upwork is a good site it has its pros and cons. One is supposed to be careful to avoid being scammed as one tries to earn.
Also Read // Can you get scammed on Seatgeek? (3+ Unsuspicious Scams That Occur)