What is Etsy?
Etsy is an online marketplace that connects creative people from all over the world with buyers who appreciate their handmade and vintage items. The site allows users to sell products ranging from jewelry to paintings, as well as create their own products. Etsy also offers users a chance to learn about other craftsmen and get recommendations for what to buy. This article seeks to answer the question; Is Etsy.com legit?
Etsy started in 2005 and is currently run by CEO and founder, Josh Silverman. The company is based in Brooklyn, New York and has over 20 million users across the globe. Etsy connects people looking for unique goods with independent sellers around the world.
Notably, Everything listed for sale on Etsy.com is handmade, vintage, or a craft supply. Etsy is also known for being an amazing place to find all types of handmade and vintage items.
Do you have to pay Etsy fees? Yes, Etsy charges 6.5% of the transaction price or product listing.
Is Etsy.com legit?
There are a lot of mixed reviews on Google, some exposing Etsy as a scam online store and others recommending the store to new buyers. From our point of view, Etsy itself is a legit store but there are some sellers who engage in unethical activities which leave their buyers frustrated hence classifying the store as scam.
We recommend you do enough research on the product you want to purchase before buying. Things you can consider are previous customers reviews on the product as well as other alternative stores that provide the product.
Also Read // Is Etsy Legit for shoes? | A must read review
Is Etsy Reliable?
To some buyers, Etsy is s reliable store to buy from. For sellers, Etsy has turned out to be a greedy store that does bot care about their welfare. Check out the following reviews and ratings left by sellers on the store.
- Horrendous treatment of sellers.
- High fees (Greedy store)- You sneezed as you typed up your listing? That’s a fee. Want to edit anything? That’s a fee. Logged in? That’s a fee.
- Zero support after AI shop terminations.
- Unachievable expectations on shops, particularly those not based in the USA.
- No longer a place for small business to thrive. Go elsewhere.
There are also negative reviews from buyers as follows;
- Awful customer service and overall bad experience.
- Fees as a seller and buyer are outrageous!
- Fav artists are leaving platform.
- “Account gets suspended for no reason and whenever you try to contact them they don’t give response and their contact support always get bugged,” says a seller.
Also Read // Is Etsy Reliable | Full Answers
More on Etsy
Top Items to sell on Etsy
If you’re like most Etsy sellers, you have a closet full of items that you never wear or use or if you crate handmade items, Etsy is a great place for you. Here are major things to sell on Etsy that will help declutter your life and make money in the process.
1. Vintage clothing and accessories. Vintage clothing is a popular item to sell on Etsy because there’s a huge market for it. Not only are people interested in buying vintage items, but they also love the unique character that vintage clothing brings. If you’ve got old clothes that you no longer wear, selling them on Etsy can be a great way to get them out of your house and earn some cash while doing so.
2. Artwork and furniture pieces. If you’ve got some pieces of art that you’ve been meaning to sell for a while, selling them on Etsy can be a great way to make money. You can also resell furniture and other home decor items on the site as well.
3. Jewelry and accessories. If you’ve got some old jewelry pieces that you no longer wear, selling them on Etsy is a good way to make money. You can also sell accessories like belts, purses and other small accessories.
4. Vintage toys and collectibles. Selling vintage toys and other collectibles can be a great way to earn some extra money. You can also resell items like vintage dolls and action figures.
5. Books and Magazines. Etsy is a great way to make some extra money, and it’s something that you can do from the comfort of your own home. You can sell things like vintage toys, clothing, accessories and even books and magazines.
How Etsy works?
As we answer the question; is etsy.com legit, it is important to check how it works. The website allows users to browse items by category, search for specific keywords, or view recent sales. Etsy also offers sellers the opportunity to promote their products through blog posts, social media, and podcast interviews. Buyers can directly order a product from Etsy if they like or it.
Also Read // How does Light in the box work?
What are the advantages of using Etsy?
Etsy is a great store for finding unique and handmade products. It’s also a great way to connect with other creatives, and it’s easy to find what you’re looking for. There are a lot of advantages to using Etsy;
- If you have a specific craft or hobby, Etsy will help you find the perfect product to take you to the next level.
- It s also a great place to find unique products.
- The marketplaces that Etsy created have become the go-to places for many artisans, musicians, and crafters.
- You can find products that you wouldn’t be able to find anywhere else.
- It has become a marketplace for independent sellers meaning there are no chains of middlemen.
- Etsy offer a way for these artists to be discovered by the public, and it s an opportunity for people to buy their work.
Is Etsy safe for credit cards?
As we answer the question; is etsy.com legit, it is important to check whether Etsy is safe for credit cards. From our review, Etsy is great market place that is safe for credit cards. All credit card information sent to Etsy is encrypted using Transport Layer Security technology (TLS) and tokenized with their credit card processors. Etsy implements appropriate industry standards to protect other payment and personal information submitted to them, both during transmission and after Etsy receives it.
Etsy’s Risk Operations team is charged with safeguarding Etsy and its community from financial harm. This includes, but isn’t limited to:
- Responding to certain credit card disputes
- Verifying the identity of certain sellers
- Preventing fraudulent purchases
- Investigating phishing emails
Also Read // Is Etsy safe for debit cards?
In conclusion to our concern; Is Etsy.com legit?, the answer is YES for buyers but adequate research needs to be done. For sellers, Etsy is not a very reliable store as it haves a lot of fees. You can shop with confidence knowing nobody can steal your card information.